Monday, September 21, 2009

Grading Rubric Answers vs Hints

Hi Sheena,


It does not say to list the four steps, it says consider what the four steps are so you are able to answer the question, therefore I did not list those steps.

Well...we are getting to the point where an hint actually becomes me giving you the answers and doing your work for you. Instinctively the typical 'A' student will think that 'consider' does mean in writing a response that your wording would reflect as evidence that you did indeed consider the information. Certainly, I cannot give you points for thinking that maybe you considered the steps. Had you considered the steps in your answer, they would have been in the paper since this is the only way we communicate - in writing.

The grading rubrics are big hints as to what the best student work has reflected in the past and this is the challenge I have on this end of the computer, getting you to value and appreciate to greater depths an innate curiosity from you in this case, how Darwin's theory works. I literally tip toe a fine line when I offer these 'hints' as at some point, I would simply be giving you the answers to what ideally you will be reading in your assigned reading and making the connection between your work and what you were to have read.

No comments:

Post a Comment